Integrity. Compassion.
I represent and fight for the rights of individuals in Lafayette and other
parishes of Acadia who are facing criminal charges.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Defense – FAQ Archives
  4.  » What Happens If My Child Is Arrested?

What Happens If My Child Is Arrested?

For almost a hundred years, there has been a separate system of justice for juveniles in the United States. Legislators have attempted to design a system that focuses on rehabilitation and education rather than punishment and retribution. When a minor is arrested and taken into custody, they will likely be referred to an “intake officer” who specializes in juvenile justice. That officer will first evaluate the case and the circumstances, and then decide whether formal charges are necessary. Depending on the severity of the crime and the minor’s criminal history, an intake officer can decide not to move forward with formal charges and can choose instead from less severe penalties ranging from an informal reprimand, to counseling, compensation for property damage or community service.

If an intake officer does decide that formal charges are necessary, the minor might remain in custody in a juvenile justice facility or a foster home while waiting for their arraignment. The arraignment is when a juvenile court judge will read the minor the charges against him or her. At that point, the lawyers for both sides will usually discuss whether a plea agreement is possible or desirable, or whether the case should move forward. In the juvenile justice system, there are no jury trials and all cases are heard before a judge. The judge then makes the decision as to whether the minor should be “adjudicated delinquent,” which is analogous to being found guilty in adult court.

Juveniles, like adults, have to the right to an attorney and the right to remain silent. If they are in custody, law enforcement must give them the Miranda warnings so that they can better know their rights before they answer any questions.

There are certain kinds of crimes – called “status offenses” – that are only crimes if committed by a minor. These would include skipping school (“truancy”) or curfew violations, and most of the time they carry less serious punishments. In contrast, there are crimes so severe that a judge can use a tool called “judicial waiver.” This means that a judge decides that a minor should not be afforded the protection of the juvenile justice system, but should instead be tried as an adult.

Juvenile records are sealed, which means they are not available to the public. If a juvenile agrees to and meets certain conditions, his or her record could be expunged – essentially erased – when he or she turns eighteen. As with most criminal matters, finding an experienced attorney early in the process can help guarantee your child gets the most favorable treatment possible.

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Back to Main